Monday, February 10, 2014

Sometimes I forget where I am.

Do you ever forget where you are?  This is an embarrassing and troublesome problem, and it happens to me on the regular.  Here are some examples, which include moments of forgetting I am in public, forgetting I am in math class, and forgetting that I am not supposed to do really embarrassing things at the bank.


Sometimes I forget I am in public. My fiance has to remind me, usually when I start talking really loudly about my toilet paper preferences in the grocery store. He'll reach for the Cottonelle, and I'll say something like, "I'm not a fan of Cottonelle. I mean, it pretty much flakes off all over the place when I wipe. It's kind of gross. Let's get Charmin. That is some high quality TP. It's sturdy yet soft, and I am not afraid of it disintegrating on me. With Cottonelle, before you know it, you're wiping with your bare hand."

I hope I didn't just scare you away with the toilet paper example.  If I did, I am sorry.  If I didn't, thank you for staying and please continue reading.


As a kid, I forgot where I was all the time, and it usually happened at school. Math class? Nope. I was thinking about something else. Who knows what, really. It could have been a number of things, such as the latest O.C. episode, or how much I'd rather be at home sleeping or watching Rugrats re-runs while eating Cheetos. In high school, a popular thought that came into my mind and ultimately distracted me was, I am pretty sure I left my hair straightener on.  I should call my mom right away and make sure she unplugs it.  


The scary thing is, I never even noticed I was totally spacing out until I was called on to answer a question or provide some kind of input that was on topic. Sometimes I'd say a totally random number, just to see if it was somehow miraculously the answer they were looking for. Sometimes I'd say, "I don't know."  Other times, I would ask the teacher to please repeat the question, hoping this strategy will buy me some time to suddenly remember what we were talking about.  Instead, this strategy usually resulted in giving me a few extra seconds before saying, "I don't know," or, "832?"  It is not fun to forget where you are when you are sitting in math class.  It's embarrassing, and it causes everyone in the room to become concerned about your level of IQ.

And lastly, my number one I-forgot-where-I-was moment: I was around 4 years old and was standing in line at the bank with my mom. Her pant legs caught my eye, because they were at my eye-level, but also because they zipped up on the sides. I thought that was cool; pants with a zipper on the side! I got lost in my fascination with the side pants zipper. For some unknown reason beyond my control, I became overcome with the impulse to tug on that zipper. And I did. I pulled the side zipper down a few inches in the middle of the bank, caught a glimpse of her underwear, and then exclaimed loudly, "That's not your zipper, that's your underwear!" To this day, that moment goes down in history as one of my mother's most embarrassing moments. You're welcome, Mom.

Readers, do you have any examples of times where you either spaced out horribly in public or just completely forgot where you were, resulting in doing something inappropriate or embarrassing? If you have kids, have they said or done completely embarrassing things in public?

8 comments:

  1. I frequently forget what I am thinking. Not quite the same, I know, but close enough. This leads to me saying "what are you thinking?" oftentimes out loud. And, of course, the answer is usually nothing.

    Last week my therapist watched as this happened. I had the sense to say "what are you thinking?" in my head. But when I realized I was thinking nothing a flicker of fear crossed my face. She just sat and watched, entertained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely close to the same thing. I walk into a room with the intention of getting something and completely forget what I am doing there...all the time.

      Delete
  2. I totally space out in the middle of conversations all the time. Like the other day I was telling a friend about something that happened the night before, but in the middle of my story I forgot what I was talking about, so rightfully I changed the subject to the latest episode of Love it or List it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I do that, too! Not the Love it or List it part, but I definitely space out during the middle of conversations. It can be embarrassing.

      Delete
  3. This post is hilarious! Love your blog :) I often walk half way up the stairs and forget why I'm going up...and then remember once at the bottom!
    Fatima :-)
    www.thatdeletebutton.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your blog is great too :). I loved your latest post about the truth, and I am sure many people can relate to it.

      Oh, I do that all the time too with walking up the stairs and forgetting what I'm doing. I can't tell you how many times a day I walk into a room, forget why I'm there, leave empty-handed, and then walk back downstairs only to suddenly remember what I was doing. I often wonder just how many minutes I waste each day just trying to remember why I walked into a room.

      Delete

 
site design by designer blogs